Competency Conferences

We knew them growing up as "parent-teacher interviews." I don't know about you, but they were always this big mystery to me. But the times, they are a-changin'.

Please have your child available to join us for your conference.

I think it is important that our meetings revolve around your child. They may have insight that neither of us do, and I know it's way easier for us to communicate about your child if we are hearing the exact same story. I may ask your child to step out for the final few minutes of a conference if there are questions or comments that may be sensitive for children. Of course, you may do the same.

In the event that there is more to discuss, we can arrange to have another meeting. 15 minutes can go very quickly, and we don't always have the time to get to the meat of the issue. The success of your child (who is quickly starting to look like a grown-up!) depends heavily on communication.

If the times I have available are not convenient for you, please let me know. We can make other arrangements. I'm happy to meet as early as this coming week, or even into the first week of November.

What you can expect at these conferences:
- Information about your child's participation (or lack thereof) in class
- Information about your child's work habits
- Information about your child's adherence to class and school expectations regarding:
     - respect
     - responsibility
     - safety
- Any big academic flags that are showing already
- Questions I may have about your child's experience with/attitude towards/opinion of school. I promise, I'm not offended. My children have both "hated" school at one point or another, and they are also Quarterway kids.

Please remember that the month of September is really used to get to know each other, our quirks and our expectations. Yes, we do work, but it is a means to an end - a solid community of trust and learning. I do not yet know the details of your child's abilities in all subjects, but I've got a sense of where they are comfortable, or not.

Please be respectful of everyone's time, arrive on time, and please do not be offended if I stop you mid-sentence to show you the door at the end of 15 minutes. It's not personal, it's business. If you need to miss your appointment, please send me a text or an email to let me know so we can reschedule, and so I can allow the appointment prior to yours to bleed into your time if necessary.

Thank you to all who have already signed up, and we'll see you in 10 days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022-2023 Week 0: Sept 6-9

French quiz Tuesday