Math word problems

One of the great things about conference week is that I notice where I'm repeating myself over and over again. For example - math word problems. Specifically, showing their reasoning in addition to their work (step 4).

Here's what's expected from me when we do word problems:

  1. Question - Identify the question; What is it that we are trying to solve? Students are to underline it in the problem.
  2. Donnés - What information do I have/am I given? Students are to circle any information that may be important. Numbers, obviously, with their context - "3 more apples" should be circled, not just "3". Less obviously, key words -  all, before, after, some, etc.
  3. Calcules - Show your thinking. I need to see how you got 144, not just that you got 144. Draw a picture, make a chart, do traditional calculations, whatever. Just be CLEAR about your steps.
  4. Logique - Prove your point. Why does your answer make sense? Include mundane information, "It asks what time and my answer is a time.", logical information, "If there's one in the middle, then it has to be an odd number.", inference, "If it's an entire class, chances are the answer will be somewhere between 18 and 32.", etc. as well as estimates, "If there are 5 of them, and they each cost $4.95, my answer will be just shy of 5x5=25."
  5. Réponse - Give the answer in a complete sentence reflecting the question. For example, if the question is "How many cards does Janelle have left?" the answer should be "Janelle has 6 cards left."
I'll be posting some practice problems (with solutions, don't worry) on a "Math Practice" page on this blog.

Happy mathing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022-2023 Week 0: Sept 6-9

French quiz Tuesday